Five Identity Theft Prevention Steps
Identity thieves plot to take advantage of unsuspecting victims. Do not give scammers an easy way to obtain your personal information. Avoid falling victim to a cybercrime and prevent identity theft with these simple steps.
- Never provide personal identifying or financial information during a phone call that you did not initiate.
- Never provide personal identifying or financial information over the phone to anyone claiming to represent a contest or sweepstakes promotion. (It is illegal to market a foreign lottery in the U.S. These calls are always fraudulent.)
- Never carry your Social Security card in your purse or wallet.
- Never have your Social Security number printed on your checks or driver's license.
- Never respond to an email or pop up message on your computer claiming some problem with a credit card, the internet, or some other account.
If you feel you might have fallen victim to a cybercrime or identity theft, click here to learn more about reporting the theft.